INTRODUCTION AND OVERVIEW: Election Officer Positions
For this election, 12 to 20 election officers are assigned to each polling place. These include:
- Chief and Assistant Chief : Manage the polling place and work with non-routine voters.
- Voter Information Officer/Greeter : Assist voters as they enter the voting room and answer questions.
- Pollbook Officers : Check-in voters.
- Ballot Officer : Issue ballots to voters.
- Voting Booth Officer : Monitor voting booths and clean voting surfaces.
- Voting Machine Officer : Monitor the voting machine and assist voters.
- Non-Routine Specialist : Assist with non-routine voters at the direction of the Chief.
- PPE Specialist : Oversee the process for social distancing and sanitizing the voting room.
- Absentee Ballot Drop-Off Box Officer : Monitor the Drop-Off Box.
- Absentee Ballot Collectors : These individuals may perform any functions, as designated by the Chief, during the day. At 7:00 p.m., they will be responsible for counting and securing the contents of the Absentee Ballot Drop-Off Box and returning these absentee ballots to the Fairfax County Government Center. You will find more information about this function in another slide. They are also responsible for counting and securing absentee ballots during the day if the Drop-off Box fills up. You will find more information about this function in another slide.